The Berlin Craft Beer blog, Facebook community, Twitter feed and all events are organized by Rory Lawton, a beer writer, consultant and speaker, based in Berlin, Germany since 2011. Rory has over fifteen years of home-brewing experience, a deep insight into brewing history, brewing techniques, brewing ingredients and international/regional beer styles and provides advice/consultancy to many beer projects in Germany.
Rory is an outspoken critic of the modern application of the so-called “Reinheitsgebot”, has been featured as a beer specialist on the BBC World Service, CBS News, China Central Television, The Economist, the Berliner Kurier, the Brew Dogs TV series and Beer Smith podcast. He was the beer specialist for the Mixology Taste Forum 2014-2015 and has been co-author and contributor to books on the German beer industry.
Rory was the head judge and beer style expert for the Global Association of Craft Beer Brewers Competition in 2014 and founded the Berlin Homebrewing Competition in 2015 for the Berlin/Brandenburg region, returning as the Head Judge for 2016.
Beer credentials include:
- Brewing: home-brewer for over 15 years, with a focus on Belgian style ales, stouts and traditional English ales
- Presenting/Hosting: of over 150 beer tasting events in Ireland, Sweden, Netherlands and Germany
- Academic: B.Sc. in cell biology & molecular genetics that was finally came in useful, when he started to harvest yeast from Belgian ale bottles
- Independent: not affiliated with or commercially connected to any brewery or bar
- Bilingual: Obwohl Englisch seine Muttersprache ist, präsentiert Rory auch gerne auf Deutsch
- Twitter: @berlincraftbeer
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/BerlinCraftBeer